Overblog Follow this blog
Edit post Administration Create my blog

Overview

• : frank beswick
  • : The blog of Frank Beswick. It deals with my interests in religious, philosophical spiritual matters and horticulture/self-reliance
  • Contact
March 17 2016 5 17 /03 /March /2016 19:34

Repost 0
Published by frankbeswick
write a comment

comments

Derdriu Marriner 09/02/2017 17:21

FrankBeswick,
How are the Dig for the Future Campaign and the Incredible Edible scheme doing? Does locally grown food in small spaces include balcony, courtyard and interior gardening? In regard to imports (but not of food unless the flowering plants in question are edible), I read somewhere that Prince Charles is the only source of home-grown fresh flowers since cut flowers otherwise are imported.

frankbeswick 09/02/2017 17:46

Both continue. In our neighbouring city of Salford the council is very positive and allotments are thriving, and that city is at the heart of the dig for the future campaign. In Trafford, where I live, the council is friendly, but in its drive to cut taxes it has been forced to raise allotment rents, and some plots are now not taken. But this allows some people such as I to take on an extra plot.

Locally grown food is patchy and there is nothing systematic.

It is a myth that Prince Charles is the only source of cut flowers. The myth arises from the fact that he draws his income from the Duchy of Cornwall, which supports him as Prince of Wales, and there are many flower farms there, especially in the Isles of Scilly. But he does not own the farms, but only lets out the land to the farmers. There has been a renaissance in the British cut flower industry, not only in Cornwall, but elsewhere, particularly in the south-west of the country,where the climate is ideal for it. The cut flower industry in Scilly is bouncing back after the lull caused by cheap foreign imports.

Now back to Salford, where a fantastic project is developing. The Royal Horticultural Society had four main gardens, but is creating the fifth at Bridgewater Hall in Salford. It is going to cover flowers, fruit and vegetables and it is going to take a lead in all kinds of growing. It is but a mile or so from where I live. My son is keeping a watchful eye open for job adverts, which have not come out yet, but when they do he is set on applying. I am not ready to write an article on the project - yet! It is only in the early stages.

Francis Beswick 11/25/2016 19:21

We are meeting on 30th November, 2016 at the Sip club, Stretford at 7.3o. Individual membership costs a pound.

Francis Beswick 11/25/2016 19:22

Meet us at the Sip club,Stretford at 7.30 Wednesday 30th November. Individual membership costs a pound.

Sue 11/25/2016 17:53

I have only just found out about the existence of Trafford Allotment Federation,but cannot find any information about it at all,and would be interestedin becoming involved as I have an allotment.

Sue 11/26/2016 15:39

Sounds wonderful. ActuallyI have an allotment at Moor Nook in Sale Moor, and our new secretary, Andy Singleton, as yet unelected,has been telling me all about it and is a big fan.

Links